Friday, February 12, 2010

I am thinking of buying a .308 Winchester. What does everyone think of it? I will primarily deer hunt with it.?

The .308 is an excellent cartridge for deer.... The .270 is more of a connoisseurs cartridge and the 30-06 is a little too powerful in my opinion... Also avoid 7MM, 25-96 or any cartridge name that ends in mag....





As you can probably guess I like cartridges that are nice and common and also available on every sport-shop shelf in North America.....





Yeah - I hunt but guess what?? -- I do an awful lot of target shooting during the year so the .308 cartridge is perfect... It's available and cheap in bulk.... No other cartridge except for the .223 and 7.62x39M can say that....





I happen to like Remington rifles.... They are accurate and for me have been a pleasure to use.... Consider a Remington SPS chambered in .308....


http://www.remington.com/products/firear鈥?/a>





Read this Remington Rifle Review.....


http://www.snipercentral.com/remspsv.htm





.308 Cartridge guide.....


http://www.6mmbr.com/308Win.html





These last 2 links are geared more towards target shooting but the info is still quite relevant....I am thinking of buying a .308 Winchester. What does everyone think of it? I will primarily deer hunt with it.?
Excellent choice! The .308 Win. is amazingly accurate - more sniper rifles are chambered for this round than any other. It is big enough for any deer that walks, as well as caribou, wild boar, and there have no doubt been a great number of elk sent off to their rewards by a well placed .308. Recoil is mild - less than a .30-06. With 150 or 165 grain bullets you're good to go. If you are recoil sensitive, you might consider the 7mm-08. It's a .308 case necked down to 7mm. It kicks a little less and is a nearly perfect deer round.





I'd be interested to know the make and model of the rifle you are thinking of buying. But as far as a chambering, .308 Win. is ideal.





EDIT: Good choices on rifle makers. I'd suggest you look closely at the Savage, and for the money you save you can put a quality scope on it, and have a gun you can hunt with the rest of your life. I like the Savage because of their Accu-trigger - they have led the way in improved triggers, and theirs is excellent.I am thinking of buying a .308 Winchester. What does everyone think of it? I will primarily deer hunt with it.?
It is a great cartridge and I have killed some nice deer with it but I don't like that it usually goes right clean-through the body, doesn't expand, and leaves an exit hole about the same size as the entrance, thereby making the poor animal run until he bleeds to death. My 30-30 never did that. It always expanded well and anchored the deer stone-cold dead at once, right where he was hit. Put a 4X Power scope on it and you can easily pick-up on a running deer, something that is harder to do with a more powerful scope.



Excellent choice for deer, and some larger animals





Great range, good accuracy, excellent knock-down. Recoil not too bad, and ammo is not prohibitively expensive.
You picked a very good caliber, and brand.* Excellent for Varmints and Deer.*
It is a capable cartridge for deer. But what type of rifle and why a .308 instead of a .270 or 30-30?






Good all-around cartridge.
A great choice for hunting deer!
well out here thats all we use and yah we put down great big moose with one shot so yeah great choice

No comments:

Post a Comment