Wednesday, February 10, 2010

What type of .357 ammo would be best for hunting white tail deer?

Look at these from Buffalo Bore. They are available from Midway.





If you're using a Marlin lever action in .357 these rounds will surpass .30-30 energies!!





My state doesn't have an energy limit for deer hunting but some states give a lower limit of 500 ft-lb as a minimum muzzle energy for deer. If you use that as a guideline then these rounds are plenty for deer whether fired from a handgun or rifle.





While I haven't used any .357 ammo from Buffalo Bore, I have used their ammo for my .45 ACP. From my experience and from others experiences found on the internet, magazines and word of mouth, Buffalo Bore ammo is dead reliable and performs as stated.





http://www.buffalobore.com/ammunition/de鈥?/a>What type of .357 ammo would be best for hunting white tail deer?
Bound's hubby here:





A .357 should be the bare minimum for large game like deer. Keep your distances realistic, maybe 30 or 35 yards. Select a maximum distance where you can keep all 6 shots on an 8 inch paper plate. You want to select a jacketed hollow point, either a 125 or a 158. Personally, I like Spears 146 grain jacketed hollow point.





Good luck and good shooting.What type of .357 ammo would be best for hunting white tail deer?
Remington 180 grain semi-jacketed soft point.* Magtech 158 grain semi-jacketed soft point.*
The heaviest you can find in jacketed soft points.
I've killed several deer with the 158 grain soft point in a 6 inch barreled pistol. I use open sights and have killed them mostly at 35-50 yards. Deer ARE NOT that big and we have big deer in north Missouri. I do recommend a side shot. I like Federal ammo.
Pretty much anything on this page will work


http://www.midwayusa.com/ebrowse.exe/bro鈥?/a>





I'd really like to see one of those 385gr JHP's for 357 magnum..........
158 grain jacketed softpoints. I use it all the time for deer, and have even taken a bear with it.
Unless you handload, I would use the 180 grain Buffalo Bore loads or if you are willing to be a little pickier with your shots the 158 grain loads.





http://www.buffalobore.com/ammunition/de鈥?/a>
I shot my white-tail last year with 230gr 45acp. This coming year I plan to try the .357. I'll load with Hornady 158gr HP-XTP bullets. They were the only hollow to pass the old FBI penetration test.
I generally use a 158 gr SWC over a healty dose of Unique or Win 296.





I've also used some 125 gr. JHP's over a big dose of Win 296 if I knew I wouldn't be going after big bucks.





Let me strongly suggest you stop by www.leverguns.com and read Paco Kelly's article on the .357 Magnum in carbines. Paco gives pointers on how to load the .357 Mag to the point it is in the lower levels of .30-30 power.





Doc
.357 Mag is very marginal for deer. If you still choose to use it, limit yourself to standing broadside shots with a good rest at a distance where you're absolutely certain of a lethal shot, then be prepared for a difficult tracking job. I'd seriously consider using more gun.
HA 385 grn, what a joke.








Use 180grn semi jackets or hollows, just dont use FMJ's. Believe me, a .357 magnum is more than enough for a whitetail deer, anyone who says otherwise has never handled a .357 magnum
357 is really marginal for whitetails.





If you are set on using that, make sure you don't go for bargin bullets, but pay extra for premium, highest and best designed bullets.





Also get the heaviest weight you can, 158 minimum
You shooting out of a handgun or a rifle?





I'd opt for Cor-Bon 180 gr. jacketed soft point. Pricey ammo, stout recoil (out of handgun), but enough power to do the job if you are not too far away.





Midway sells this ammo if you can't find it at a local store.
357 isnt an adequate round for deer

No comments:

Post a Comment