Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Is it stupid to have a scope on a 12ga slug gun for deer and do you recommend any kind of scope?

Stupid?... No - Not really....





A couple of my shotguns have scopes on them because my old eyes aren't that good.....





I recommend a Nikon Prostaff 2-7x32MM.......





http://www.opticsplanet.net/nikon-rifles鈥?/a>





I have 2 of these scopes and they are a decent product....





Generally speaking - Most shots with a shotgun are at ranges under 125 yards with most deer being taken here in the northeast at ranges under 80 yards.....





If your eye sight is pretty good then pass on the scope.... BUT -- Practice a lot to get good at it.... Practice with 2 3/4 inch slugs - the recoil wont beat your shoulder up using those.... NEXT - absolutely forget shooting at paper targets - Its lame.... I cant tell you how many times I see hunters target practicing with disappointing results shooting paper targets with a shotgun... They get no ';feel'; for the shotgun.... Instead use reactive targets.... I had a machine shop cut me up some 12 and 15 inch steel plates / gongs.... Hang them from chains at 50, 75 and 100 yards... When you hit those you see them swing and hear a loud plink thru your earplugs.... This way you get more of a ';feel'; for your shotgun... You will then be able to confidently take shots because you know where they will land -- Paper targets cant give you that......





http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36YWNtnid鈥?/a>





http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf9qf2pZB鈥?/a>





As you can see in these videos a scope may not be necessary with a little practice....Is it stupid to have a scope on a 12ga slug gun for deer and do you recommend any kind of scope?
It all depends, just like every thing else in life.





I would not spend a great deal of money on a scope for a shot gun like I would for a rifle I was planning on taking shots at 400 yards with. Many ';slug guns'; are just field grade shot guns with a rifled barrel or even a rifled choke tube. Most all shot guns are built with the intent that they are to be pointed much more than aimed. Many times it just don't ';feel'; right to put your cheek all the way down on the stock to aim it like a rifle. A scope will help this a great deal. There are some folks who will lie to you and say they can roll deer all day long at 200 yards with a slug gun, but most slug gun/slug/shooter combos are only going to be good out to a little over 100 yards. With this as a max range a 2 or 3X scope will suit you well. If you plan to do much of your hunting in the woods rather than over a field I would even consider a red dot scope.





DaveIs it stupid to have a scope on a 12ga slug gun for deer and do you recommend any kind of scope?
no it's not stupid, depending on where you're shooting. i would recomend a little or no magnification scope (1x - 3x) with a large tube and big clear reticle, or a red dot type. It will be the easiest handling and allow fastest target aquisition, ideally suited to bush hunting/ within 75 yards. if you're planning on using the shotgun more like a rifle (sabot slugs will shoot accurately to 150yds+) then you'd pick a scope with a bit more zoom and a finer reticle
No, I used a scope on my shotgun last year for deer hunting, and I got a doe. You'll be using your shotgun like a rifle, and how many people would go rifle hunting with open sights? I don't have any recommendations for scopes but make sure you get some nice sabots, I used Remington Core-Lokt's.
Depends, ive done it both ways. On drives i always liked open sights. Faster finding your target that way. Sitting in a stand for long periods of time i liked a scope on my fully rifled barrel On my 1100. i had a nikon 3x9 on it. You can dial in a good slug gun both ways. Scoped or not.
yes, a scope on a shotgun that has a rifled barrel is pretty reasonable...but I'd go with a low power scope, as you will be taking relatively close range shots and a high power scope will limit your field of view too much.





This is what I would get if I were you





http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/14875-34.鈥?/a>





you can go cheaper with something like this


http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/15178-34.鈥?/a>


but really if you aren't willing to hit the $150-200 price range, you are best off not bothering.
I concur on this scope. It really helps you see the target more clearly and the kill zone. Try it at different ranges and watch your drop. A good scope helps you scout the terrain as well.
I wouldnt call it stupid, but probably wouldnt do it myself. i would advise you go with a low power scope, or a red dot or holographic style. I like the holographic's, allthough id say they are more 'tacticool'
A lot of guys I know put low powered red dots scopes on their shotguns. I know one very good shotgun hunter who has a 4x powered scope on his. The only thing is if you don't shoulder it correctly fast you can get scope bit. I shoot with open sights.
No, not stupid at all. 1陆 to 2 power is plenty enough for the range of a shotgun. You do not need a lot of magnification, but in low light conditions a scope pulls the target right out of the mist.
Its not stupid in any way but the shotgun was design for close range the shotgun is kind of inaccurate for a scope you're better of using the iron sight then a scope.
Some of it would depend on the length of the barrel. It could be accurate to a distance with a long barrel I would assume.
Its a good idea. A 4x or a red dot should be fine and affordable. It doesn't have to be anything fancy.
for the price of a scope that isnt going to to help you anyway, u could get yourself a nice bolt action rifle





exactly what john said inaccurate making it stupid
nah its fine. might be a bit unaccurate depending on where ur shooting from but ya ur fine.
  • computer security
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment