Friday, February 5, 2010

Should I give my 3 year old Lab/shepred a freash deer leg/hoof to chew on? Does not eat people food - Help?

I've been waiting 3 years for this day to come, now that it's here I'm very nervous. I have 2 freshly killed deer on the way - HelpShould I give my 3 year old Lab/shepred a freash deer leg/hoof to chew on? Does not eat people food - Help?
Personally, i would be hesitant to give my dog fresh wild game bones because of the threat of Lyme disease, other bacteria and parasites.





If you want your dog to have fresh, raw bones, go to the butcher shop and buy some raw beef marrow bones.. less possibility of issues.Should I give my 3 year old Lab/shepred a freash deer leg/hoof to chew on? Does not eat people food - Help?
Opinions vary about feeding raw wild game. Where I live, a lot of folks have done it for years with no problem- I've only been doing it for a little while but I have not had any issues with feeding pheasant, grouse, rabbit or venison, raw. Lyme disease isn't much of an issue here, neither is chronic wasting disease in deer. Others I have spoken with say they have never had any issues with parasites. Keep the dog on Heartgard monthly if it makes you feel better :)





My landlord owns a hunting preserve and just recently shot a deer for us. He basically tossed all the guts, the hide, the front legs %26amp; the ribcage (after we cut the meat off it) to his three hunting Labs in his kennel. They made short work of it and are none the worse for wear. He's in his 70's and has been doing that all his life with no problems. My 4 dogs are enjoying the rest of the bones %26amp; meat scraps and will be enjoying them for a while to come- especially if we get another deer soon!!





If your dog has never had raw bones before, you may wish to supervise him with the leg- and wait a couple days between giving him the legs, don't just let him have them all at once! Might want to cut off the hoof too- personally I prefer to do this since my dogs don't chew that part too well, and the hoofs are small enough to be swallowed. Good luck and enjoy your venison :)

No comments:

Post a Comment