Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Does anyone feed deer?

We have deer on our new property and I have been feeding them corn. Is there anything else I can feed them? Is there a special plant I can grow for them? I also have a mineral block out for them to lick. We have seen a doe with her newborn fawn at the corn so I know they like it. Just want to know if there is something better or different...Thanks ya'll!Does anyone feed deer?
If you have a local feedrite store. It`s called Deer/Elk feed. It`s like little pellets.They love it!Does anyone feed deer?
Here in Michigan the gas stations in the country sell bundles of feed called ';Deer Crack.'; No joke. I'm tellin' ya, EVERYONE is a crackhead here, even the wildlife!!!

Report Abuse



I would only feed them once a month. More then that and they will become a habit to your area. Are you ready to feed them 100 lbs of corn and minerals a month during the winter? That is what it will take for them to survive. Deer can be fun to watch and feeding them once in a while is fine but don't let them make your place their only source of food.





I like placing a mixture of corn and dry molasses in a sugar ice cream cone then place them on a log. They love them but again only once a month
My brother's feed them all the time.


They just strew corn and have salt licks.


One of them ordered some type of special deer grass to plant for the deer.





I'm not sure what is was called, but supportably it is suppose to be so tempting as to have them eat what is planted for them rather than to go to the garden to eat.





You might try searching.





http://www.blingo.com/search?q=deer+gras鈥?/a>
It seems that they like to eat whatever you are working the hardest at trying to grow. We have 4 dogs and the deer come in and eat at night. I don't think it matters much what you have just have plenty of it.
My heart tugs when I see the deer come to the house, but I try not to make them reliant on my feeding them. They take from the salt blocks and leftovers from the horses, but I feel to keep them as self-sustaining as possible is best. They need a variety of food to grow properly and aren't used to totally high-protein diet, needing a lot of forage. My thing is, the more they eat, the better they reproduce. If we are subject to a really bad winter, the dieoff from lack of forage due to overpopulation is very sad indeed. Unless we are prepared to feed them on a massive scale, I'd let them be. They come to my house anyway as they like the trail and bedding areas.
Just grow a garden and they will help themselves! They like everything that grows in the garden except for tomato and potato plants (leaves and stems poisonous).


Really though, I would consider not feeding them in the summer time, they have plenty to forage on if there are wooded and grassy areas around.


It's during the winter that they will be hungry and feeding them then, though not recommended by wildlife experts, might make a difference in their survival. At that time you could feed them some of the same things a horse or cow would eat.
We live near a lake and we have 2 new baby deer.


Apparently they love Cheerios.


It's gotta be good for them.


I just make sure we put the food as far from the road as possible.


Dont worry about planting something for them because they will eat whatever you have growing in your yard, not picky at all.


They ate our roses like candy, and all of my bulbs.
deer eat apple's ,corn. u can plant pursimmon tree and they love those

No comments:

Post a Comment