Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Soap to keep deer away?

anyone every tried to keep deer out of their garden by hanging bars of soap? Does this work? Does it have to be a certain kind of soap?Soap to keep deer away?
I tried it last year and it seemed to work on some trees that were starting to be munched. You're supposed to use some very stinky soap - some of the deodorant soaps. From what I hear everything works to a limited degree for a limited time. I've also heard that cheap perfume works, and I know for a fact that unneutered male human urine works. None of these things seem to work any more or less than the proprietary (and very expensive) sprays that are sold in stores.





Basically, if a deer is hungry enough it will eat anything that doesn't eat it first.Soap to keep deer away?
If you are going to use soap, I would use a soap that is very fragrant – like “Irish Spring”. But I think I have a better suggestion.


Go to your local barber shop or beauty salon. Ask them to save you all the hair they sweep up for as many days as you think you might need (bring a receptacle with you in case they do not want to have to transfer the hair from one holding bin to the one you will take home). Put the hair in something like the foot of a pair of pantyhose, tie a knot and hang as many of them as you can stand looking at – around your property or garden, at the level of a deer’s head. The scent of all the “human”, should keep them away but you will have to replace the bundles if there is a heavy rain. You can also scatter some of the hair on the ground, in areas you would like them to particularly avoid. Good luck.





EDIT – Sorry - I didn’t see Grain And Grit’s answer until I had posted.
over the years I've tried about everything, yes, including putting bars of soap into old pantyhose. Wish I could tell you one remedy that worked perfectly and you had all the materials around the house, but if I did, I'd be lying. What I have now I bought and it involves light, sound and water. It is basically a motion detector and when the lights kick on, it sprays a stream of water and makes a honking noise. So far this year, it has worked well. Of course the tomatoes are only about 8'; tall so I'll have to get back to you later in the season.
I have used human hair in the past and it seems to work. Just take all the loose hair from your brushes, or go to a barbaer shop and get some hair. Sprinkler around the areas you want deer to aviod.





It worked for my garden.
It may work fro some dear but not all. If a herd is hungry..they will eat anything. Your best bet is to plant deer resistant plants.

No comments:

Post a Comment